Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sizer – Ultimate Windows Resizing Utility?

Back when I was using Windows XP, one of my always-had-installed-no-matter-what utilities was Sizer. The reason? Because I like being able to resize any window I want to specific sizes.

Then Windows 7 came along and Sizer didn’t work in it, so I was bummed out about that. FireSizer was good for Firefox and gets the job done in fine style, but only for Firefox.

But lo and behold, v3.32 of Sizer works in Windows 7. Awesome. My oh-so favorite window resizer of all time now has a version that works in the OS I use today.

This is why I champion this little program so much:

1. I can resize any window I want, as said above. Browser, word processor, image editor, etc. There’s not too many windows Sizer can’t resize.

2. It has the option to center the window after resize. This is something that’s not easy to find in other window resizer programs. If you want it in the center, Sizer puts it there. No fuss, no muss.

3. There are several different ways to access Sizer. You can right-click the taskbar icon, right-click the title bar of almost any program or right-click a border of a window and get the Sizer context menu. Very cool.

Here’s an example from a title bar:

image

4. I can name my sizes anything I want. Many window resizer utilities only show size names as dimensions, such as 1024×576. I can rename mine to anything, like "netbook” or "laptop" or "smartphone" or whatever I want.

5. I can specify any dimensions I want. You’ll notice above I have a few "odd" dimensions, like 1200×900 and 1300×900. I use 1300 on my 1680×1050 monitor and 1200×900 on my 1280×1024 monitor. They’re just the right sizes for when I need to use them. Some resizer programs strangely do not allow you to specify dimensions outside of known monitor standards (and why some are like that I have no idea).

6. It stays out of my way. I can’t stand a program that tries to butt its nose into everything you do (Adobe Reader comes to mind…), so it’s very much appreciated when one only shows up when you want it to and does so without complaint.

7. You can specify where you want a resized window to "snap" to. Those with high-resolution monitors will definitely appreciate this feature. You can specify how many pixels from the top and left a resized window should snap to. Unfortunately there is no automatic way of doing it and you have to enter the numbers manually, but hey, better than not having the option at all. Yes you can set specific positions for specific sizes, and once set, you don’t have to set it again unless you want to change it.

Limitations?

The only programs I’ve found that Sizer won’t resize are the kind that don’t use a standard Windows UI for window controls. For example, certain instant messenger have a completely custom interface (like Yahoo! Messenger) where the right-click context menu cannot be accessed. However it’s fairly rare you’ll run into programs you need to adjust that Sizer can’t resize for you.

Sizer is free. Go get it.

 

Source: pcmech.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons